AERMOD model revised - May 14, 2014

On May 14, 2014, the U.S. EPA has released the revised AERMOD model (14134), which replaces the previous version (13350) of AERMOD.

Visit http://www.epa.gov/ttn/scram/models/aermod/aermod_readme.txt for more information.

You need to be a member of Paryavaran.com- Indian Environment Network to add comments!

Join Paryavaran.com- Indian Environment Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I appreciate your concerns.

Meanwhile, CPCB has already published a guideline on air quality modeling - "Assessment of Impact to Air Environment: Guidelines for Conducting Air Quality Modelling", PROBES/70/1997-98, CPCB, New Delhi, 1999. However, this guideline should have been updated by now.

At Envitrans, we are trying hard to develop resources for the Indian air quality modeling professionals so that they can deliver their best. Within the group, we welcome, technical discussions from the members, which may help in our capacity building together. We will try to assist our members as much as possible through these discussions.

Vivek Mariappan said:

Yes, 

i would say CPCB should come up with air modeling guidelines. the reason why i say this, some of the air modeling reports does not analyse for complete one year and they do not use the BPIP or terrain effect into the model. i'm sure bigger consultants such as yours would be doing it but it should trickle down to the smaller consultants, even for the construction project who use dg for power generation. the influence of stack emission on the residents living on the top floors. I hope Envitrans group members changes how we do air modeling.  thanks 

On May 14, 2014, the U.S. EPA has released the revised AERMOD model (14134), which replaces the previous version (13350) of AERMOD. Visit http://www.…
  • Yes, 

i would say CPCB should come up with air modeling guidelines. the reason why i say this, some of the air modeling reports does not analyse for complete one year and they do not use the BPIP or terrain effect into the model. i'm sure bigger consultants such as yours would be doing it but it should trickle down to the smaller consultants, even for the construction project who use dg for power generation. the influence of stack emission on the residents living on the top floors. I hope Envitrans group members changes how we do air modeling.  thanks 

• Sure, you may have seen several reports using ISC3, primarily because in India this model is still acceptable in regulatory compliance (like EIA) studies; besides, the model requirements in terms of meteorological data is minimum and easily available or may be derived easily.

Regarding AERMOD, I believe, Indian professionals are little reluctant to use this model because of the extensive meteorological data requirement which is really difficult to obtain. For example, the required upper air data is not easily available in India or may be its very expensive!

Further, CALPUFF is a different model altogether, let me put some basic differences:

• ISC3 and AERMOD are Gaussian Plume Models whereas the CALPUFF is a Lagrangian Puff Model.
    • Both ISC3 and AERMOD are used for near field modeling and recommended for routine uses in assessing source impact within 50km whereas CALPUFF can be applied on scales of tens to hundreds of kilometers.

Hope, above addresses some of your queries.

Finally, for improving the air modeling capability – I can simply say, please carry on discussions on Envitrans Group, we have created this with the same objective!!!

Vivek Mariappan said:

thank you. 

but i see lots of reports done using ISC3 rather than AERMOD or CALPUFF.  air modeling has long way to go in india, can the members throw some light why is it so and how to improve the capability of air modeling. 

On May 14, 2014, the U.S. EPA has released the revised AERMOD model (14134), which replaces the previous version (13350) of AERMOD. Visit http://www.…
  • thank you. 

but i see lots of reports done using ISC3 rather than AERMOD or CALPUFF.  air modeling has long way to go in india, can the members throw some light why is it so and how to improve the capability of air modeling. 

This reply was deleted.