Replies

• Thank You ! Sir...
  • well its depends on the type of project for which you are preparing your EIA report. Its all up to the sources & type of pollutants, effects of same etc etc. So for addressing the issue of cultural & haritage buildings in EIA report, one must have details of potentials of effects on such buildings. The effects can be deterioration of building due to weathering, corrosion, deposition & reactivity of pollutants etc etc. Its also important to address visitors of such building and impacts of pollutant on visitors' health as well as frequency /number of visitors. higher polltion can result in lesser visitors and ultimately the building cultural & haritage value can be reduced due to decreasing visitors. such issue can pose critical implications on industrial & urban development by authority in the regions and such implication can hamper development of the region. So like these, there are lot of issues and one need to go in deep while making any statements of impacts as well as EMP.

Hope that these words can help you in EIA.

• Respected Sir,

I have to cover all aspects with the respect to Cultural & Heritage Buildings with the respect to EIA.

What is the procedure for gaining clearances for big projects Such as Township development, Highways construction,Widening of Roads, so on ..with respect to Heritage Buildings?

Whats the procedure done in India ?

Example : Like sethusamudram Ship Channel Project ! Which Involves Heritage Issues.

Sir help me further to enrich my knowledge Thanking you ..

Regards,

Priyadharshini.B

Prof Dr V N Sivasankara Pillai said:

Culture may be the components of civilization, customs or way of living of communities distributed over continents and influenced by beliefs. Heritage buildings (buildings of heritage value) are creations at different points of time known for their architectural or historical values.

International issues (cross border and cross continent) related to culture relate to spreading a culture deliberately with targeted motives. Social impacts of such cultural transformations are worth studying. However, by present definition EIA is a predictive tool used to identify impacts and to plan remdial measures. Then how would your theme fit in to this definition?

EIA
    Hii all,    Can anyone help me in this topic International Issues of culture and heritage building with respect to EIA reports   Thanks !
  • Culture may be the components of civilization, customs or way of living of communities distributed over continents and influenced by beliefs. Heritage buildings (buildings of heritage value) are creations at different points of time known for their architectural or historical values.

International issues (cross border and cross continent) related to culture relate to spreading a culture deliberately with targeted motives. Social impacts of such cultural transformations are worth studying. However, by present definition EIA is a predictive tool used to identify impacts and to plan remdial measures. Then how would your theme fit in to this definition?

• Aboud Jumbe said:

The United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, (UNESCO) provides a global monitoring watchdog system on issues of cultural heritage vis-a-vis restoration and development activities surrounding the UNESCO's designated heritage sites around the world. Use this link to go through the basics of principles of  guidelines and sift through the UNESCO's literature sources from the following link:

http://www.unescobkk.org/culture/world-heritage-and-immovable-herit...

EIA
    Hii all,    Can anyone help me in this topic International Issues of culture and heritage building with respect to EIA reports   Thanks !
  • Thank You all ! I am doing M.tech in Environmental Engineering..This was one of my  assignment.. Really wanted to do it worth fully.Thank You all for Guiding me.

Thank you all once again. 

•  The United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, (UNESCO) provides a global monitoring watchdog system on issues of cultural heritage vis-a-vis restoration and development activities surrounding the UNESCO's designated heritage sites around the world. Use this link to go through the basics of principles of  guidelines and sift through the UNESCO's literature sources from the following link:

http://www.unescobkk.org/culture/world-heritage-and-immovable-herit...

planarch_eia_guiding_principles.pdf

• Dear Priyadharshini

EIA as undertaken in India is more focussed on impacts prediction and assessment on flora and fauna along with water resources. No detailed study is carried out in terms of its impact on heritage building. By detailed study, what I mean is physical verification and impact modeling on how pollutants will impact heritage buildings on long term basis like 10, 20 years. I think, the constraint here is an appropriate programme on how these pollutants affect the nearby buildings and to how much extent.

Secondly, the ASI is seldom consulted during the process. What we can do is to request the MoEF for more information through may be an RTI on what is the procedure for undertaking cultural and heritage impact assessment during the course of EIA. Also a recent example is the Lavasa project where no such information has been provided. these are generally suppressed at the time of undertaking scope of work. The same fate is of a risk assessment exercise which is also not undertaken very seriously, though it forms a part, it is more of a cut copy paste job.

PRIYADHARSHINI said:

Can you please share me some details Sir??
    EIA
  • Hi, my wife Dr. Ravindra Kaur works on the culture. heritage and the impact IA studies have (or leave out) during the course of the Study. You can get her at ravindrakaur@yahoo.co.in. Please give a brief description of the study that you are carrying out.
  • Can you please share me some details Sir??
This reply was deleted.