1. ATTEND REVISION TESTS:
This is to familiarize you with the way Nebosh exam is packaged. By attending, your mentors and trainers will also be able to assess how much more you need to review and guide you to a successful result
2. KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GETTING YOURSELF IN TO:
The National General Certificate is divided into three units, the first two of which, NGC1 and NGC2 are assessed by written exam. In order to maximize your point earning potential you need to understand how scores are generated. Remember:
- Each exam lasts two hours
- Each consists of 10 short answer questions and one long answer question
- The short answer questions are each worth eight marks, and the long answer question is worth 20 marks
- Time wise, this means that you should give yourself eight to 10 minutes for the short answer questions and 20 minutes for the long answer question. Our delegates tell us they find it useful to take their own watch into the exam and have it visible on their desk to help keep track of time
- All questions are compulsory.
3. MAKE A LIST OF CENTRAL TOPICS:
Watch a variety of YouTube videos of these central topics—because that will have a lasting image on your memory. Keep watching videos for few weeks. There are lots of them.
Remember the steps. I used to make a lot of acronyms for some standard questions like about steps how to assess risks and risk assessments. It is worth trying if you forget points. Eg SREDIM for task analysis. S for Select the task R for records the steps and so on.
5)Remember to answer short, precise to the point and to the command word that is asked. Always see the COMMAND word.
4. PREPARE A SELF NOTES :
- Prepare a self-notes by your own , to keep in touch with the key points and trainers guidelines,
- Try this technique during the nebosh classes and during your nebosh exam preparation too.
5. UNDERSTAND THE KEYWORDS USAGE IN NEBOSH EXAMS:
- Nebosh sets a number of keywords in the exam technique, to assess the candidate’s level of understanding and to conduct the quality of examination too.
- Understand the usage of keywords is essential to score high marks.
Some of the keywords you should remember is that,
- Define − Provide a generally accepted definition
- Describe − Give a detailed word picture
- Explain − Give a clear account of, or reasons for
- Give − Provide without explanation (normally used with the instruction to give an example, or examples of…)
- Identify − Select and name
- Outline − Give the most important features (less depth than either ‘explain’ or ‘describe’ but more depth than ‘list’)
- State − A less demanding form of ‘define’ or where there is no generally accepted definition.
6. USE MIND MAPPING STRATEGY :
Prepare mind map for all the chapters which aids you in remembrance of the entire book during revision days and state examples from the experience which boosts your marks.
7. PRACTICE THE MNEMONICS TECHNIQUE:
Mnemonics is an excellent technique which will ensure the number of key points and obviously it will prevent you from the on time memory loss during the examinations.
Example: To Remember the types of Guards in Machines:
FIAT – Fixed guard, Interlocked Guard, Adjustable Guard , Trip switch.
Each and every chapters in nebosh, there is a number of Mnemonics which is really most important in your exam preparations .
8. REMEMBER THAT THE EXAMINER IS LOOKING TO GIVE YOU POINTS:
The NEBOSH Certificate exam is positively marked, with points awarded for the correct application of knowledge, rather than deducted for incorrect answers. Therefore, if in doubt, have a go! You really don’t have anything to lose.
This means that it’s your job to make it as easy as possible for the examiner to find places to award you marks. Keep writing legible, with clearly numbered answers (if a question consists of different sub-sections make sure you number each sub section and address it separately within your answer e.g. 1a, b and c) and provide an answer for every question (although you may want to “warm up” by starting with those that you feel most confident about, rather than working chronologically through the paper).
9. CONDENSE YOUR NOTES AS THE DATE APPROACHES:
Days immediately prior to the exam are not the time for reading through reams of notes with a highlighter in hand. As the date approaches you should concentrate on condensed excerpts that you can actually commit to memory. Use your own revision cards to create these, or purchase revision cards to augment with your course notes. Remember, minutes of concentrated learning will prove more valuable than hours of reading that you can’t later recall.
10. ALWAYS BE PREPARED:
Take the pressure off yourself by alleviating the potential for niggling anxieties. Make sure you’re equipped with pens and a watch and that you’ve double checked the exam date, time and location and are fully briefed with travel arrangements. Do this thoroughly, and then put it out of your mind, so that you can better concentrate on the substance of the exam.
11. USE PAST PAPERS TO PRACTICE YOUR EXAM TECHNIQUE:
You will also look at past papers as part of NEBOSH Certificate course. These are obviously the best way to assess the type of questions that you will face. Moreover We also recommend that you take the opportunity to sit a mock exam in its entirety prior to the actual exam as this will help you understand how much time you have per question, as well as allowing you to practice writing for a significant length of time.